Cesspit Emptying Wainscott
We have been working with customers in the village of Wainscott for many years now and are delighted to provide a first-class, quality service every time. Our works vary greatly, from small to large scale.
Wainscott is a small village in Rochester, in Kent. It is in the civil parish of Frindsbury Extra, in the Medway Unitary Authority, that is Medway Council. By 1950 it had been absorbed into the neighbouring residential areas of Strood. Wainscott itself is located immediately next to Frindsbury, and is surrounded by beautiful agricultural land, as well as ancient woodlands. It is speculated that the name is derived from the OE meaning Wagonner Cot or Wagon Shed.
Wainscott History. Archaeological excavations in 2007 on the north-eastern edge of Wainscott revealed evidence for human activity dating from the early prehistoric through to the post-medieval period, and provided important new evidence for Bronze Age, Romano-British and Saxon settlement. By the mid-8th century the kings of Kent were granting estates in the area by charters to the bishops of Rochester and their cathedral. In 738 King Eadberht gave 10 ploughlands at Andscohesham (Stoke) in the territory of Hoo to Bishop Ealdwulf. In 764 King Sigered of west Kent gave 20 ploughlands of arable land at Æslingaham on the west side of the Medway to Bishop Eardwulf, with seven named denes in the Weald, and this grant was confirmed by King Offa of Mercia. This charter was later regarded as including Frindsbury and Wich, and it seems likely that it included the Wainscott area. These grants were also confirmed to Bishop Wærmund in 789 by King Offa, who in later centuries was regarded as the benefactor who had given Frindsbury to the bishopric, under the name of Eslingham cum appendiciis. In 889 Bishop Swithwulf and the cathedral community at Rochester granted to a certain Beorhtwulf half of a ploughland with specified boundaries at Haddun (Haven Street in Frindsbury) with detached meadows at Beckley and Strood. The boundaries include ealden strete, perhaps to be identified as Hoo Road, wen weg, (perhaps an early form of Wainscott?) and Ciolmundesland. By the Late Saxon period the estates of Kent were divided up into lathes and hundreds. The Wainscott area lay in the Lathe of Aylesford and the Hundred of Shamwell. In the late eleventh century the hamlet of Wainscott may have been established by this time at the junction of the crossroads, although there is no written evidence for it. Its name probably means ‘wagon shelter’, suggesting a subordinate role in the larger estate of Frindsbury. At the time of the Domesday survey in 1086 the manor of Frandesberie (Frindsbury) was held by the bishop of Rochester. It had been assessed at 10 sulungs (971 ha) in 1066. There was a separate manor of Wainscott which had emerged from the parent manor of Frindsbury by the early 14th century. It was also called ‘Parlabien’s Yoke’ (or ‘Perleben’s Yoke’) after the family which held it at this time. It afterwards descended to the Colepeper family, which held it until the late 16th century. In the years 1494–1504 it was divided into two halves, and court records survive for one of these moieties. However, very little business was transacted beyond the collection of fines from tenants who failed to attend. If the extent of the manor was really one yoke, it would not have been more than 50 acres (c. 20.2 ha). The fields underlying the north excavation area to the north of Hoo Road were in the manor, as were a series of smaller fields along the south side of the road as far as the stream. Beyond the stream to the north-east were the fields of Islingham manor; to the south of the road lay parts of the manors of Frindsbury and Chattenden. At the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530s, the manor of Frindsbury with its appendages was confiscated from Rochester Priory by Henry VIII, but was subsequently passed on to the Dean and Chapter of Rochester in 1542. The manor of Wainscott was sold in the late 16th century, and passed by a series of descents and sales to John Boghurst, who held it in the late 18th century. He still held a court leet and a court baron for the manor at this time. Post-medieval and modern maps and documents indicate that the area of the site comprised a number of agricultural fields, both within Islingham and Wainscott manors – extracts taken from www.kentarchaeology.org.uk – Prehistoric and Romano-British Activity and Saxon Settlement at Hoo Road, Wainscott, Kent by Nicholas Cooke and Rachael Seager Smith.
Tilemaking at Wainscott A map dated 1711 shows this hamlet as consisting of a house and a few cottages known as Windscott, the name probably referring to a collection of cottages in an exposed or windy place. The house was called ‘White Horse’ and, since the hamlet was situated on a crossroads on the road to the Isle of Grain, it may well have been an inn. By 1838, the name had been corrupted to Wainscott and a local pottery industry was already in existence by 1842. The main works was the Wainscott Pottery owned by a Henry Hone and next to this was a smaller operation owned by Thomas Fox. The reason for their location is easily explained by investigation of the local land ownership at this time. Nearby at Four Elms Hill were two clay pits owned by a William Beadle, who was something of an entrepreneur. Beadle also owned the land to the immediate east of the road in Wainscott and it was here that the potteries were set up. Thus, not only did he sell the clay to the potteries but he also got the rent from their premises as well as the adjacent workers’ cottages. It must have been quite a monopoly for him as well as being rather lucrative. Both potteries produced tiles for the expanding building industry and some may have found their way to London together with the local brick trade. The tithe records also list an Edward Hone (limeburner at Upnor) and a John Hone (brickmaker at Bill Street). It is not known if they were related to Henry Hone but it is possible that this was an example of a family diversifying into all aspects of supplying the building industry. Henry later went on to own the Kings Arms pub and John the Old Oak Inn. By 1858, there had been a change of proprietors and the potteries were now owned by Thomas Baker and Jesse Clark Foster. It is likely that the larger premises belonged to the latter since, in 1877, Foster bought the clay pits from the Executors of Beadle who had by then died. With this assumption, Baker must have sold out after a few years to Messrs Charlton & Matthews since, in the book “Industrial Medway” by J.M. Preston, they are mentioned in an advertisement dated 1868. This reference is interesting since it shows the diverse range of products being produced i.e. oven & paving bricks and tiles; pan, plain & ridge tiles; sanitary & land drainage pipes; chimney, flower & paint pots; garden & edging tiles. In the meantime, Foster continued to expand his pottery and took his son Theophilus into partnership in 1867. In 1871 they were shown as brick and tile manufacturers but there is no evidence that they had the necessary equipment at their clay pits to make bricks on site. Since it was a competitive business locally, it is more likely that they produced specialised bricks at their premises. In 1882 they sold out to Francis Hazell, who produced bricks, tiles, drainpipes and chimney & garden pots. The 1862 Ordnance Survey map shows a draw well next to each of the potteries. Whereas these may only be water wells, there is also the possibility that they were chalk wells. The census of 1871 lists a William Eloine of Wainscott who was described as an ‘excavator’. This is a peculiar term since men who dug clay were normally described as merely labourers and it seems to imply extraction at depth. He could of course have been a local well sinker but, again, the latter term is usually used in census job descriptions. One clue is given in an article on deneholes written by F.C.J. Spurrell in 1882, when he mentions a denehole (properly termed a chalkwell) which was then being used at Plumstead for a tile works. It is known that a small quantity of chalk was added to normal bricks to prevent shrinkage during firing and possibly this was also done in the case of tiles. If products of a yellow colour were required, like the Stock Bricks, a greater proportion of chalk would have to be added to get the colouration. Thus, it is possible that the local tile works had chalkwells on the premises to obtain their own supplies of chalk.
Enumerator’s Description of Wainscott on 1861 Census
Part of the Parish of Frindsbury without the boundary of Rochester. Comprises all the houses and cottages which lies on the south west side of the Land Water Sewer from White Wall Creek to the High Road leading from Hoo to Wainscott, Small’s Farm and Brompton Farm including the Quarry Farm and Cottages, Chatt Home houses, White Wall Cottages, Manor Farm and cottages. Wainscott both sides, Home Street both sides, and Bill Street both sides with Brompton Farm
The History of the Stag Inn, 56 Wainscott Road
The 1851 census shows that living at 58 Wainscott Road was a Henry Hove with his family and he was a ‘retailer of beer’. The 1861 census reveals that Henry Briggs (an agricultural labourer) was living in the same area of Wainscott with his family, his niece and four lodgers. His 22-year-old son George Briggs was described as a ‘licensed victualler’ & a ‘labourer in the War Department’. An Ordnance map for 1871 denotes a BH (beer house) where the current Stag Inn is located. The 1871 census shows a William Perch, a ‘licensed victualler’ aged 70 was living in the beer house with his wife Anne. 1878 licensing records show that George Cheeseman was then the licensed victualler. The 1881census shows Robert Harris aged 27 ‘licensed victualler’ living there with his wife and a 16-year-old general servant. The 1891 census reveals that 49-year-old licensed victualler John Potterton lived there with his wife, a bar maid and a general servant. An 1897 Ordnance map denotes a P (Public House) and also states ‘Stag Inn’. The 1901 Ordnance map denotes ‘Stag Inn’. The 1901 census shows Jane Potterton aged 59, a widow and licensed victualler living there with a servant, a 14-year-old pot boy barman and two visitors. The 1911 census shows A Francis H Jones aged 46, a licensed victualler living there with his family. In 1918 licensing records show a William B Day, a licensed victualler living there. A 1927 Ordnance map shows ‘Stag Inn’. The 1930 licensing records show a Samuel Pope, licensed victualler living there. The 1939 Register shows a John Henry Miles aged 68, a licensed victualler living there with a 99-year-old housekeeper.
WAINSCOTT MURDERS MOST FOUL
The Brompton Farm Road Murder 1942
Ellen Ann Symes had been visiting her parents Thomas & Florence Overy in their Dickens Terrace home in Wainscott. She was widowed and lived in 114 Brompton Farm Road with her four-year-old son Robin J Symes. Her parents walked part of the way home with her up Hollywood Lane with Robin in a pushchair, but then left her to complete the journey whilst they returned home. A man approached Ellen and her son in Brompton Farm Road and stabbed her in her neck, killing her. Robin was able to tell the police that it was a soldier who had attacked his mother. The police quickly found Reginald Sidney Buckfield wandering in army uniform in Strood, they established that he was a deserter and although he protested his innocence, he was charged. Whilst awaiting trial and in custody Buckfield wrote a fictional account of a murder similar in all respects to the Brompton Farm Road murder and it was this hand-written book that was to sway the jury to find him guilty. In his book he cast himself as a private investigator and a mysterious Mr. X as the villain who slaughtered the young damsel (a thinly disguised version of Ellen Ann Symes). His habit of constantly grinning had earned him the nickname ‘Smiler’ and true to form, he smiled broadly all through his trial and even when he was finally convicted of murder at the Central Criminal Court on the 26th. January 1943. He was given the death sentence, but it was later commuted to life imprisonment.
1 Forsters Terrace Murder 1960
On the 18th. March 1960, William Southon was murdered at his home in Forsters Terrace. William had been drinking at the Steam Packet in Strood and had been befriended by Frank Williams and Herbert Marsh. When William left the pub, he was accompanied by both men. Marsh had said that he would be visiting his girlfriend in Wainscott. Arriving back in the village the two men waited several minutes whilst the victim had settled down in the house. Gaining access via the rear of the premises, Marsh smashed a window and both entered the property. William Southern was tied and gagged with his own shirt. A neighbour having heard a disturbance and muffled screams dialled 999. The police it is reported were on scene in 10 minutes and a search upstairs revealed the two offenders hiding. William Southon had by this time died of suffocation.
Wainscott is now bypassed to the east by the ‘Wainscott Eastern Bypass’ and to the north by ‘Wainscott Northern Bypass’. These roads, both named the A289, lead traffic from the A2 to the Medway Tunnel. These two roads meet at the ‘Four Elms Roundabout’, where the A228 climbs ‘Four Elms Hill’ and onto the Hoo Peninsula, where the A228 becomes the Ratcliffe Highway, that then passes the Deangate Ridge Golf Club on the left and takes the second roundabout exit on the Main Road into Hoo itself. At the top of Four Elms Hill is the village of Chattenden, that has much MOD land, especially in and around Chattenden Army Barracks. The village has had many homes erected within it on ex-farm/MOD land. These homes were developed by Crest Nicholson and the estate is known locally and officially as ‘Liberty Park’. The development includes many different types of accommodation including homes and elderly accommodation for the local residents later years.
Wainscott is situated within the parish of Frindsbury Extra.
Wainscott holds many different businesses such as a Co-operative Food, a Premier Stores paper shop, a fish and chip shop (The Golden Fish Bar), a Chinese takeaway (Dynasty Chinese) and two pubs (The Stag and The Hop & Rye Micro Pub). The Wainscott Working Mens Club closed on 28 February 2014. The village of Wainscott also used to have a vehicle garage, known as Hills Motors, which has now re-located to Medway City Estate. The garage was later replaced with accommodation provided by MHS Homes.
Cesspits require emptying on a frequent basis—typically every 40-60 days depending on use. Here at First 4 Drains we provide affordable cesspit emptying services to customers across the South East and beyond. Contact our professional and friendly team for a cesspit emptying quote today!
The specialists at First4drains offer an affordable Cesspit Emptying service in Wainscott to help keep your system in full-working order.
FAST AND AFFORDABLE CESSPIT EMPTYING & CESSPOOL PUMPING SERVICES Wainscott
A Cesspit or cesspool retains all sewage effluent in a sealed tank. This type of system is typically used in areas where there can be no runoff or treatment due to environmental concerns. Cesspits require regular emptying in order to prevent overflowing and other unpleasant problems.
Whether you are a homeowner or manage a large commercial business in Wainscott, First 4 Drains can offer a comprehensive service to empty as well as provide essential maintenance to keep your cesspit in good working order.
For your added benefit, First for Drains can offer CCTV drain surveys in Wainscott if there is a problem that needs identifying, and our specialist engineers use high pressure water jetting to remove any blockages found and ensure that everything is flowing freely.
Your Wainscott Cesspit Emptying Experts - Call Now For a Fixed Price Quote
Searching for Cesspit Emptying Wainscott? Call The Experts at First 4 Drains!
Many people confuse a cesspool and a cesspit with a septic tank. While they both provide the same function, which is to collect wastewater and sewage from properties that are not connected to the mains sewer.
A cesspit differs to a septic tank in that they don’t treat the sewage nor do they have an outlet to allow the liquid part of the waste to drain away to a soakaway. Simply put, all the waste that goes into a cesspit, stays in the cesspit, which is why cesspits require more regular emptying compared to a septic tank.
Also, the costs of operating and maintaining a cesspit typically make them unsuitable for domestic use. On average. the annual costs to empty a cesspit can run anywhere between £2,000 to £8,000 in emptying charges alone. Not to mention the fact that many homes just don’t have the space required to install a cesspit. An average 3-4 bedroom home would require a tank capacity of upwards of 40,000 litres, resulting in a tank over 10 metres long and 2 metres wide!
Cesspits and cesspools can also be quite smelly compared to septic tanks as they require venting to allow trapped sewer gases to escape.
HOW OFTEN DOES A CESSPIT NEED TO BE EMPTIED in Wainscott?
This will depend on the level of use, and size of your tank. A cesspit will typically require emptying more often than a Septic tank as there is no treatment of the waste, it is simply held in the tank until it is time to be emptied.
Cesspits will typically need to be emptied every 45 days or so, you may have a cesspit alarm that will tell you when it is time to empty it.
WHY CHOOSE FIRST4DRAINS FOR YOUR CESSPIT PUMPING NEEDS in Wainscott?
First 4 Drains are highly trained with experience in emptying as well as maintenance of cesspits of all sizes. We offer a comprehensive service from the initial contact through to completion of works and ongoing maintenance as needed
With over 20 years experience, we can be trusted to offer the right solution to your cesspit emptying needs. We’re dedicated to providing quality service in a professional but friendly manner.
We offer 24/7 emergency call-out services alongside regular maintenance appointments so whether you are looking for the solution to a current problem or just to prevent any problems from arising, we’re committed to providing reliable, hassle-free service.
If you’d like to learn more, or have a question about getting your cesspit emptied, contact the team at First 4 Drains today. We offer fast and affordable cesspit pumping services to customers across the South East and beyond.